Over the last few weeks I have had a number of conversations about mercy ministries vs. development ministries. Questions have been asked like… “When is ok to give money to a ‘homeless person’ who is flying a sign ‘will work for _____’?” As Christians, is it really all that radical or weird to hand out money, buy food, or give things away for free?
With the Superstorm Sandy rolling through, yes…there are needs to be met. And it’s a perfect opportunity to give what is needed and asked for. The LA Times recently had an op-ed The donations Sandy’s victims don’t need which speaks perfectly to this topic. We saw and heard about items that went to waste in Haiti, because it’s not what is needed or it’s not useful. Our friends and missionaries, The Salvants, at New Hope Haiti Mission recently blogged about similar ‘giving’ in non-emergency times – The Ministry of Stuff.
Dr John M. Perkins once said “The best welfare program is a job”. Last year, I even wrote more about it here > “The Best Welfare Program is a Job” Dr. John M. Perkins and here > PART 2 ~ “The Best Welfare Program is a Job” Dr. John M. Perkins
That’s what I love about this organization…they partner with Ugandan artisans to “provide consistent incomes where there were none.” Please keep reading to learn about them…how they help provide winning opportunities to the Ugandan people. You, too, will have a chance to win!
Light Gives Heat (LGH): A 501c(3) Non-Profit, based in Grand Junction, CO (with a second location in Jinja, Uganda and surrounding areas).
- Mission: Empowering Africans through the encouragement of economic sustainability and creative endeavors. Motivating people in the west to “be the change they want to see in the world.”
- Vision: To See Africa rebuilt and renewed from the inside out and to see people in the West living with Hope
Your Winning Opportunity!
As you prepare to purchase Christmas gifts or something to treat yourself, please consider supporting LGH. Support providing someone a job versus providing handouts. To encourage you to buy and support LGH, you have a chance to win a $25 LGH gift card! Complete at least one of the following. The more you do, the more chances you have to win. Just remember to comment when you do!
1. Buy something from LGH! Comment below what item you bought.
2. Donate to LGH! Comment below that you made a donation. You don’t have to share how much, but I am hoping it will be more than the $25 gift card prize!
3. Share the great work that LGH is doing in Uganda by sharing this post on FB or Twitter! Comment below how you shared it.
Deadline: Friday, November 9 at 12noon eastern time. Go ahead and do it now. Don’t wait! 🙂